For some, they will never leave home without a fishing kit and a condom. Yet, have they ever tried to catch fish in their neighborhood or attempted to fill and carry water in a condom?
Others recommend carrying a few MREs and a gas or biofuel stove. But, the bulk of these items far outweigh the benefits of speed that travelling light provides.
Before filling a bag with all the absolute necessities you think you might need in a SHTF scenario, practice using some EDC ( every day carry) items on a regular basis. If you do not use items in your EDC container on a regular basis, review what you have packed and consider alternatives.
That said, herewith 6 SHTF gear items that you can easily pack into a small tin, Tupperware or pouch for daily use:
- A means of making fire- lighter, ferrochromium rod, tinder
- A means of handling water- non lubricated condom, purification tablets, potassium permanganate
- A means of cutting- folding knife, scalpel, hacksaw blade
- A means of signalling- a whistle, torch, mirror
- A means of navigation- button compass, magnet, pen and paper
- A means of nutrition- hard candy, corn syrup, dried meat/ cheese
Tip: Do not eat unless you have water.
Join one of our courses to learn more about really effective SHTF gear you should carry daily.