If you have ever felt that growing dread when you realise that you are lost, here are some proven techniques to help you get back on track.
Learn these 6 techniques and never get lost in a city again.
- Stop moving the moment that you realise you are lost.
- Look around you and orient yourself to your surroundings. Try to identify a cardinal point ( North, East, West or South) using the sun, moon or the stars.
- Look at the nearby buildings for direction clues. Depending on the hemisphere or country, domestic satellite dishes point to a specific cardinal point.
- Boost your phone’s navigation speed, accuracy and reliability by adding GLONASS ( the Russian navigation system) to your GPS function.
- If in a Christian city, find a church. Not to pray for help but because it is built along an east- west line. The altar is at the eastern end facing the sun. In a Muslim city, worshippers always pray facing Mecca ( but not necessarily east).
- Buildings are often stained and marked by pollution and acid rain. These are carried by the prevailing winds. The side of a building facing the prevailing winds will show more pollution marks. By knowing the direction from which these winds blow, you can determine direction.
H.E A.T. tip:
In an urban environment, depending on the time of day, look for groups of commuters heading in one direction. In the morning follow them; in the afternoon backtrack. You will end up at a commuter transport hub.